Here's a list of what you will need:
- a shallow bowl (I prefer clear glass in order to see the roots grow)
- clean decorative marbles or stones that are about 1/2 inch diameter
- clean, fresh water
White Narcissus "paper whites"
Let's get started!
- Fill the bowl or dish 1/4 full with the decorative stones or marbles that you've chosen.
- Set the single Amaryllis bulb or the multiple Narcissus bulbs on top of the stones.
- Throw in the rest of your stones leaving about 1/2 of the top of the bulb showing.
- Pour in enough clean, fresh water to cover the tops of the stones.
- Place the container in a bright area of your house so that the plant doesn't get too leggy.
- Keep watch that the water is topped off every few days or so.
I hope you enjoy this fun indoor gardening activity that can be done throughout the winter. Your child will enjoy taking care of topping off the water and helping bring the beautiful flowers of these easy to grow bulbs to life.
Please send in any comments or photos of your completed projects and I'll include them on the blog.
I hope you have all had a wonderful holiday season, and all of us at Gooseberry Gardens wish you the best in the new year!